Temperatures for the U.S. overall it was the coolest in May in 5 years trending 11th coldest of the past 25+ years (-0.1F below average and -1.3F colder than last year). But it was a month full of wild extremes with record cold frost and freezes in the middle of the month from the Midwest to the Northeast. This did more damage to crops, berries and fruit trees. There was even some light accumulating snow in the Ohio Valley and interior Northeast. Late in the month over the Memorial Day weekend many cities in the Northeast had their first official heat-wave with 3-days over 90F. Some areas had 4 days over 90F with the Newark NJ area setting a record of 96F.
Rainfall was the 10th wettest of the past 25+ years for the U.S. overall trending 17% drier than last year but still 4.9% above average. Rainfall was again excessive in South Central Texas where some spots had over 12" for the month. Kansas City area also had near 10" of rain. The wettest spot appears to be around Vero Beach Florida where a whopping 18" of rain fell.
Tornadoes were 17% below average and 43% less than last year with a preliminary total of 216 reports.
Tropical Storm Bonnie made landfall near Charleston South Carolina Sunday May 29th becoming only the 4th time in 165 years to have two named tropical systems before the official start of the Hurricane Season (1 June - 30 November). Previous years with fast starts were 2012, 1908 and 1887.
Global Crop Region Weather Summary:
- U.S. Corn Belt - coolest in 5 years with slightly below average temperatures with rainfall 20% less than last year and 13% below average.
- Brazil Corn Growing Regions
- Brazil Mato Grosso warmest in 11 years, rainfall +25% above average rainfall (spotty with some areas much drier)
- Brazil Mato Gross do Sul warmest in 3 years but below average with the 3rd wettest in 25+ years (+91% above average)
- Brazil Parana coldest in 12 years and near record wet with rainfall +156% above average.
- Argentina Soybean Region (harvest season)
- Coldest in over 25 years but driest in 8 years with -72% below average during their final stages of harvest
- China Corn Growing Regions (planting season)
- Heilongjiang warmest in 3 years 5th wettest in 25+ years, +45% above average.
- Jilin warmest in 3 years with near record rainfall trending +121% above average and most in over 25+ years.
- Shandong average temperatures with -19% below average rainfall similar to last year.
- Coldest in 7 years with below average temperatures and wettest conditions in over 25 years +55% above average.
Temperatures for the front half of the month are cooler than average from Texas to the Ohio Valley while the Southeast is warmer than average with the West Coast cooking in very hot temperatures.
Late June looks to get very hot/dry for much of the country with the hottest driest Summer in 4 years for the U.S. overall.
- Capt Kirk out.