It's Friday! :)
This weekend is going out like a lamb which means early February is coming in like a lamb in the Eastern half of the country...West more like a lion cub. As of today only 35% of the country is covered in snow which is below the average coverage of 41% and 2nd least in 10 years. That will change with a West-Central snow storm early next week.
Here's how the next 7-days (29 Jan - 4 Feb) trend across 8 U.S. Regions:
- You take top pick for the best weather if you like warmer conditions. Overall it's the 4th warmest of the past 25+ years and warmest in 4 years. It will get WET not WHITE next week trending 4th wettest of the past 25+ years but the least snow in decades for this week. Last year brought epic record breaking snowfall to the region so we're getting a big reprieve this year and could see 50s and even 60 in parts of the region where the snow pack is less thick on Tuesday-Wednesday.
- 3rd warmest of the past 25+ years, warmest in 4 years, 10th wettest of the past 25+ years but no snow. Last few years there has been snow in the region but not this year.
- 5th warmest of the past 25+ years, warmest in 4 years, driest in 7 years and snow in the far northern part of the region in Kansas.
- 10th warmest of the past 25+ years and warmest in 4 years. Wettest in 3 years but 4th snowiest in 25+ years. Last year was 2nd snowiest so you're getting another big 5-12"+ snow storm from Nebraska to Iowa up into Minnesota and Wisconsin on Ground Hog Day (2 Feb).
North Rocky Mountains
- 9th coldest of the past 25 years, colder than last year but driest in 4 years and least snow in 3 years. The heavier snow is in the far southern part of the region in Southern Wyoming and Northern Colorado...not much for Montana.
South Rocky Mountains
- you have the worst weather trending the 9th coldest of the past 25+ years, coldest in 5 years and #1 wettest. Most of that wettest is ALL WHITE with snowfall trending the 2nd snowiest in 25+ years with much above average snowfall. You can shoot the Ground Hog if he says 6-more weeks of Winter on 2 Feb.
- 5th coldest of the past 25+ years and coldest in 5 years. Rainfall is 3rd wettest in 25 years and the most snow in 12 years and much above average. If the S. Rocky Mountain folks don't kill the groundhog - you can take aim on Tuesday. :)
- 8th coldest of the past 25+ years, colder than last year and 8th wettest of the past 25 years, wettest in 8 years. Snowfall is heavy in the mountains with the most in 8 years, 3rd most in 25+ years.
For the U.S. overall
the next 7 days trend 5th warmest of the past 25+ years, 5th wettest and least snow in 3 years but still above average in light of the West Coast - Central storm next week.
Have a great weekend folks. Visit our facebook fan page for daily updates and an animation of the above snow storm.
- Capt Kirk out.